1.5 or 2 hour options
Schools and Education
Schools and education groups
Custom price based on tour
Rotorua Duck Tours is a unique, entertaining and educational adventure that will leave a lasting impression on your school group long after their return to the classroom.
Your pupils will experience the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to ride in an authentic World War II amphibious vehicle better known as a ‘Duck’. All while students experience and learn about the History, Culture and Geography of the city of Rotorua and the surrounding lakes region.
Suitable for school children of all ages from Primary to Secondary School we can customise our tours to meet your students learning objectives.
Rotorua Duck Tours provides an exciting learning experience for the younger ones. Splashing down into the lake waters and driving out again is a thrilling and memorable experience. Chat to us about how we can tailor-make an educational experience your students will remember forever!
For Secondary schools, Rotorua Duck Tours meets the New Zealand curriculum education needs for the subjects of Geography, History, Science and Education for Sustainability.
Please see the outline of each tour below to see the specific achievement objectives that can be met during an educational trip with Rotorua Duck Tours.
ROTORUA DUCK TOURS HAS MANY DIFFERENT OPTIONS TO CHOOSE FROM
- Rotorua City & Lakes (90 Mins)
- Tarawera & Lakes Tour (120 Mins) (Can be linked to level 1 Geography “Extreme Natural Events”)
- Lakes Quality Tour (Can be linked to level 2 Geography “Explain aspects of a contemporary Geographic Issue”)
- Saving the Lakes Powerpoint Presentation
- Mix and Match Tour
- Rotorua Duck Tours Lunch Options
A TYPICAL ADVENTURE WITH ROTORUA DUCK TOURS INCLUDES:
- An interactive and educational commentary by our trained conducktor
- ‘Splashdown’ into some of Rotorua’s most spectacular lakes
- FREE gift, the famous duck quacker, to interact with people on the street
Achievement Objectives from Geography, History, Education for Sustainability and Science include:
- Identify some important natural and cultural features of the landscape.
- Understand how specific geographical features were formed such as volcanic and geo thermal features.
- Understand the natural and cultural processes that have shaped the environment.
- Understand how people interact with the natural environment and the consequences of such interactions for people and the environment.
- Understand how people’s values and perceptions influence decision making processes such as Tourism development and identify how change has occurred in Tourism Development.
- Identify major events and people in Rotorua’s history.
- Understand Maori migration settlement and life in the Rotorua region. Education for Sustainability
- Evaluate measures that have been taken to sustain natural resources and the effect on the sustainability of these environments.
- Investigate external and internal processes that have shape and change the surface features of New Zealand
- Develop an understanding of the causes of natural hazards and their interactions with human activity on Earth.
NCEA Achievement Standard Resources
Geography 1.1 – Volcanic Eruptions in Rotorua
Explore the natural volcanic history of Lake Tarawera and the surrounding landscape. Rotorua Duck Tours have put together a tour and resource package tailored towards AS 91007 “Demonstrate geographic understanding of environments that have been shaped by extreme natural event(s)”. Students will enjoy the exciting and informative Tarawera Lakes Tour, while learning about the Tarawera Eruption of 1886. Provided resources help students to fully understand the impact of these events, and their impact in shaping both the geography and culture of the region.
Geography 2.6 – Saving the Rotorua Lakes
Bring your Geography unit to life with the Rotorua Duck Tours resources for AS 91245 “Explain aspects of a contemporary geographic issue”. This interesting and deeply relevant unit will take students on the bespoke ‘Lakes Quality Tour’, exploring the quality of water in the Rotorua region, looking at the causes and impact of this issue.
Students are given the resources required to collect and research viewpoints on the issue, and form reasoned and supported ideas for future courses of action. The tour includes a 45 minute presentation on Saving Rotorua Lakes, and will give students the time and opportunity to approach the issue from an informed and engaged position.
For more information and a personalised quote please contact your us on 073456522 or click here to get things underway.
Tours depart from the Rotorua Duck Store at 1241 Fenton Street, opposite Amazing Thai. We can also offer pickups from the Rotorua I-site.
A quacking great tour!
Highly recommend this tour for families, Shaun was our guide, had so much fun, laughter music and learnt alot about Rotorua Lake District. If you are thinking of doing it - do it you will not regret it.