Tarawera and Lakes Tour
Where else can you jump on a genuine amphibious WW2 vehicle and tour a city and its lakes without even leaving your seat? When it comes to what to do in Rotorua, it’s hard to go past our popular Tarawera and Lakes tour! Discover the history of the people and the landscapes that shaped our region while exploring some of our most beautiful scenery.
First, you’ll journey through the central city before heading straight out to Lake Okareka for your first ‘Splashdown’, nestled in the heart of a vibrant little community. You’ll then head through a magical, untouched scenic reserve before arriving at Lake Tikitapu (Blue Lake), Rotorua’s most recreational lake. You’ll see untouched beauty at this magical little local gem.
From Lake Tikitapu it’s off to the main event, Lake Tarawera, right at the base of the mighty Mt Tarawera volcano. This volcano erupted in 1886, changing the history of Rotorua forever. You’ll learn in depth about this devastating eruption and the effects it had on our land and our people.
Unique vehicle, unique destination, unique history – there’s no better formula for an unforgettable experience!
- Discover the history of our area with a fun & entertaining fully guided commentary, delving deep into Maori history, geothermal activity, volcanoes, legends and more
- Splash down onto three different lakes; Lake Okareka, Lake Tikitapu and iconic Lake Tarawera
- See breath taking views of the volcanic domes of Mt Tarawera and learn about history of this devastating eruption
- Surround yourself with the stunning lake scenery that our district has to offer
- Quack the famous duck quackers at passers by
- Ride, laugh, quack, splash and so much more!
October – April
May – September
Tours depart from the Rotorua Duck Store at 1241 Fenton Street, opposite Amazing Thai.
Duck Boat tour
We had an awesome time on our duck boat tour today - with a very entertaining tour guide (Shelly) who kept us laughing... the rain didn't stop us from enjoying ourselves either! Definitely recommend it! Thanks guys 🙂