Tarawera & Lakes Tour (120-135mins)
There’s no better way to see our beautiful lakes and Rotorua’s mighty volcanoes than on a duck!
The Tarawera and Lakes tour is the best way to experience the Rotorua lakes district and learn about the history of the land and the people that shaped our area. This fully guided tour takes place on land AND water in New Zealand’s only genuine WW2 amphibious vehicles.
First, journey through the central city before heading straight out to Lake Okareka for your first ‘Splashdown’, nestled in the heart of a vibrant little community. You’ll then head through a magical, untouched scenic reserve before arriving at Lake Tikitapu (Blue Lake), Rotorua’s most recreational lake. You’ll see untouched beauty at this magical little local gem. From Lake Tikitapu it’s off to the main event, Lake Tarawera, right at the base of the mighty Mt Tarawera volcano. This volcano erupted in 1886, changing the history of Rotorua forever. You’ll learn in depth about this devastating eruption and the effects it had on our land and our people.
Unique vehicle, unique destination, unique history – There’s no better formula for an unforgettable experience!
- Learn about the history of our area with a fully guided commentary, delving into Maori history, geothermal activity, volcanoes, legends and more
- Splash down onto three different lakes; Lake Okareka, Lake Tikitapu and iconic Lake Tarawera
- See breath taking views of the volcanic domes of Mt Tarawera and learn about history of this devastating eruption from on the lake where the volcano sits
- Surround yourself with the picturesque scenery that our district has to offer
- Quack the famous duck quackers at passers by
- Ride, laugh, quack, splash and so much more!
Winter – Start of May until the end of September
All tours depart from the Rotorua Duck Store at 1241 Fenton Street opposite Amazing Thai.
Adult – $89
Children (3-16 years) – $55
Infants (under 2) – Free
Family (2 adults 2 kids) – $215
Additional Child over Family – $40
Bookings are essential, and booking online is easy. Or you can call us on 07 3456522 to secure your spot.